Sunday, December 30, 2007

What is Permissible?


It wasn't until recently (well within the past few years) that I began to wonder what was permissible as a christian. I don't mean things like white lies, loans and that sort of things, but more on how I act on a day to day basis. Even that seems vague when I type it out. Let me see if I can give a few examples.

For instance, the Bible says in 1 Corinthians 11:34 that one should not eat in church if one is hungry, they should go home. Now one interpretation could mean that if one thought of the communion as a meal, and not look at it as a Holy Ordinance. I am not sure what to think about that. I mean I know that the Church is to be holy and pleasing to God, and that we should treat it with respect, that we are there to learn and grow. Hmmm.

Another puzzle is in the area of television and music. What is ok to watch what isn't. Is there a rating we should make sure we follow? What would God be ok with us watching. Rated "R" might be ok if there is only violence?? No swearing?? What about rated "G" Isn't Sleeping Beauty rated "G" isn't there a witch in that one? And what about Music? Christian music is it ALL ok? What if it wasn't written by a christian? How about Country. . .Rock? Christian Rock? What goes in our minds? What about Sports? Football, maybe that's ok, but what about the commercials in between. Some say that even if you aren't actively listening or watching, you absorb all you see and hear. Images of things that are evil from shows like "Reaper" and "Gossip Girl."

Then there is clothing. The Bible does have verses on women dressing as women and men as men. Does that mean dresses only? Hmm is it about times and cultures? Because when the Bible was first penned men wore skirts as well as women. What determined the difference? Why is there a difference now? If men and women both wore dresses, can men and women both wear jeans? As long as one is feminine and one masculine? What makes it unfeminine to wear pants? Or is it a certain type of pants, jeans. What does God really think. What should I really do. Is it up to me to decide? Or should I follow a certain person's example, what if I am wrong, what if they are?

Anyway a lot to think about, I would appreciate comments please on this.

No comments: